"Man is saved if he can really Love. The trouble with the world is that, man has not learnt to love." - Bp.Paulinus Jeerakath CMI
Bishop Mar.Paulinus Jeerkath was born on March 17, 1919 as the eldest son of Mr.Scaria and Mrs.Mariam, in Kuruvinal, at Kottayam Dt, Kerala. In 1933, he joined in Aspirancy in the CMI Congregation at Mannanam and completed his high school education at Mar Aprem's school at Mannanam. He had his Novitiate at St.Theresa's monastery, Ambazakadu. He made his first religious profession on 24th November 1937.Then he continued his priestly education at ST.Joseph's seminary, Mangalore; Koonammavu, Poona and from there to Papal Seminary Kandy, Sri Lanka. He was ordained as a priest on February 18th 1946. Thus our' Kunjautha' became Fr. Paulinus Jeerrakath.
Soon after his priestly ordination he was appointed at Mutholy CMI Ashram as a teacher. From there he was appointed as tutor of Latin in the minor seminary of St. Theresa's Monastery in Ambazakad. There after he was the professor of Philosophy at S. H. Seminary Chethipuzha where he was also the confessor of sisters at Chethipuzha Hospital and later he was appointed as professor of Philosophy at Dharmaram College Bangalore. Then he was transferred to Mannanam where he rendered his service as boarding rector. There he was also serving as the Novices Guru for SABS Novices for two years.
In 1972, when Jagdalpur raised to the status Exarchate and entrust to CMI Congregation, Rev. Fr. Paulinus was appointed as the Apostolic Exarch of the newly constituted Exarchate of Jagdalpur in March 23rd 1972.
This Exarchate was raised to a Diocese in 1977 and Msgr. Paulinus was consecrated as the first Bishop of Jagdalpur Diocese on May 11th 1977 at Mannanam, the Mother House of the Congregation, by Cardinal Joseph Parekkattil. The Diocese of Jagdalpur was formally inaugurated on 19th June 1977.